Botanicals in Modern Medicine: Healing With Herbs, Part 3


BOTANICALS IN MODERN MEDICINE

At the turn of the century almost any medicine one took was made form plants. Botanical materials made up some 80 percent of all pharmaceuticals in those days.  Most prescriptions were made directly from “crude botanicals”, but chemical and drug companies were already becoming more sophisticated; they had begun to identify the active principles in plants.  Wherever possible these principals were being duplicated in the chemistry lab, then marked as “purer” medicines.

https://i1.wp.com/www.traditionalhealingcentre.com/images/sample-full-width-page.jpg

Over the years, some plant drugs have lost their popularity or been abandoned altogether.  They may be costly to process and store; medicinal plants are particularly subject to the quirks of an international economy, and to the growing and gathering conditions in producing countries.  Moreover, depending on the weather and soil, the concentration of a plant’s active ingredients can vary greatly.  So, wherever possible, pharmaceutical manufacturers have replaced these crude medicines with ones made in the laboratory.

Lab made drugs have not entirely replaced their natural predecessors.  for many diseases Mother Nature still holds the best cures.  Today at least 25% of the medicines in our pharmacopoeia still come from plants.

Plant derived products account for more than $5 billion in medicine sales.  Nevertheless, experts estimate that just 4% of the world’s plants have been analyzed for pharmacological activity.  that leaves 96%, or over 1 million species to investigate.

********

This article is part of a series on herbal medicine written by Cathleen V.Carr, MA, JD, PhD, who is an alternative medicine expert specializing in herbs, Vibrational medicine and BioEnergetic Therapies

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: