Guest can be tougher to prepare for today since more people are taking seriously their dietary restrictions. Guests are grateful and delighted when you make them something that respects their health concerns.
It is handy to have a vegetarian cookbook on available for ideas.
It is also efficient to have your pantry stocked for guests who say, “I Can’t eat that” while they point at your beautifully already prepared main dish.
Make life easy for yourself. By having a few tricks up your sleeve and ready ingredients for diets that are fat-free, cholesterol- free, wheat-free, dairy-free, egg-free,meat-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, lactose-free, nut-free or just picky diners.
Stock your pantry with these ingredients to be prepared for most dietary issues:
- Egg Whites or Egg Beaters
- Rice milk
- Soy cheese, soy sour cream, sou cream cheese
- Soy milk, and non dairy creamer
- Gluten free bread
- Low sodium rice cakes
- Mashed potato mix to use as a thickener instead of cornstarch and flour
- Oatmeal nonfat and low fat cottage cheese
- Non fat and low fat cheese
- Flour: cornmeal, rye, flour, barley flour, rice flour, spelt flour
- Salt substitute
- Oil substitutes: applesauce, apple juice, mashed bananas, crushed pineapple in its own juice, orange juice
- Whipped non fat evaporated milk (in lieu of whipping cream)
- Low fat ricotta cheese
- Grape-Nuts instead of nuts
- Turkey or soy sausage, bacon or ham cuts rather than pork
- Syrup and sauces for pancakes: have fruits on hand that can be made into sauce with a blender or food processor
- All fruit, sugarless jams and jellies